Tuesday 27 November 2007

Funny looking MZ!



So I managed to guddle the cam-chain back onto the lower sprocket, got the barrel on, head, cam and rockerbox.

After lots of advice from learned men in The Thumper Club, I've now squished some blu-tak on the valve pockets to check the clearances. I'm hoping they should be fine on a flat-topped piston...

Annoyingly I couldn't reuse the old head gasket or barrel gasket I had, so the scotsman has had to sacrifice new ones. He's not happy about that, because they'll have to be replaced.

Next is to get the cam-chain tensioner on, speak to Martin or Roy at Slipstream about valve clearances, set 'em, and gently turn the motor over a couple of times...

Then strip it down again!
I may also transfer back into the Solar Shed (political move).
And then, I think we'll maybe try KEDO in Germany for some parts. They were kind enough to offer some sponsorship in the shape of discounted parts; hopefully it wont be countered by the cost of postage from Germany. I've downloaded their catalogue, time to brush up on the schoolboy german!

I've also noticed a few problems-
The crankcase studs aren't long enough- I may have to get some custom ones made up
The inner and outer valve springs actually touch
The cam runs very close to the rockerbox
I need a spring retaining hook welded on to the exhaust retainer
Bedtime again!
andy

No comments: