Tuesday 9 October 2007

Hello all!

Much fun was had at Cadwell!

Saturay was good, practice seemed fine, just a bit slow. Timed qualifying saw me about 7 secs quicker than Sam Gleeson (#24), and about 8 quicker than John Goode (sorry, dont have the time sheet to hand) but it was having trouble revving out up the hill to Park corner and down the start finish straight. Having not replaced the previously kinked fuel line, it kinked again- D'Oh!! But it was another finish, etc. JohnG couldn't make the race sadly and had to leave early. Sam on the RGV-Rotax managed to get ahead in the race (out-dragging me up the hill), and stay there, but we had a good bit of banter after the race. And a beer!

I changed the fuel line!!! A blatt round the pits made me suspect a slipping clutch, so I applied to practice on Sunday morning...

Sunday I went out in practice- no slipping clutch, just low gears!! I called it off after 2 or 3 laps- I was getting low on fuel, and didn't want anything else to go wrong!

The afternoon race was a blinder. I dunno what was happening at the front, but I got a good start, with 3 behind me, and pushed by a couple of folk for the first half lap. I hadn't seem Sam go by, but a quick look over my shoulder just after the mountain revealed a dark shape not too far away! Dave Bennet on the 640 Tigcraft had entered on the sunday only, and so started from the back of the grid. I had forgotten about him! The faster bike and better rider were really on my tail, but for about the first 3 or 4 laps I was leading 4 stragglers at the back:

Me-Dave-Sam-Nick Oliver (who started from the pits with a broken hand)

I heard dave on the start finish straight (he had better lines and better drive from the corner), and saw his front wheel on my RHS, and thought "Do I take the outside line into the left hander? And force hime to brake?". My balls were simply not big enough and I throttled off a little early, and in he went. Once he was in front, he disappeared round and up the hill. I instantly regretted bottling it. By Park straight he was about 5 bike lengths in front, and the distance was just getting bigger. Unknown to me, sam and nick were still on my tail.

On the next lap, sam got me on Park straight. I was catching him thru Hall bends, but never managed to pass him. He finished about 20 secs in front overall.

I traded places with Nick a few times, but he got me (again on Park) on the last lap. I was determined that I wasn't going to give in to him on the last quarter mile of the season. I stuffed it up the inside just after the hairpin, but my shocking line meant that he could get on the power earlier to cross the line just in front. Defeat from the Jaws of "Victory" Angry

However, I hadn't realised that Nick was actually a lap behind, so that was a fairly futile bit of red mist!

Scott Richardson and Doc McCombe in the aircooled class went grasstracking, so Sam took 3rd, Dave 2nd and Laine Martin was 1st by miles. I got a fourth to Nick's fifth. Well done to the gong hunters!!

Mike Edwards had a bit of trouble with Gordon! Truely great riding, but the Gods conspired against him.

Look at Gordon's Blog at www.no1bloke.blogspot.com

It was a great end to my first (almost) full season. Time to sell the bike and concentrate on the Tigcraft for next season. I am thinking a XTZ bottom end with an aircooled 640 top end. Megacycle Stage 4 cam, stainless valves and springs, CR carbs, Gibson pipes, programmable ignition. Hopefully 60+ horses, and about 30 less kilos.

Roll on 2008. I'll get you yet, Sam Gleeson Grin

Thanks to all those who have supported me in any way shape or form. Financial considerations are very much appreciated, friends, and if YOU want your name on the fabulous Team-Thumper machine for 2008 you can be part of the action for anything at all you wish to give us. www.team-thumper.wetpaint.com tells you how, or you can avoid Paypal fees, and drop Boyd a cheque in the post. Drop us a line from the wetpaint site for his address.

The 2007 machine (620 Slipstream motor, FZR 400 forks brakes, & wheels) is now for sale, either as a pretty road bike (MOT'd, original Yam sidepanels, seat, tail, airbox etc) or in its current state. We are desparate for new riders for the class, and it would be fine to cut your teeth on, or as a trackday machine. So do you fancy joining the British Supermono Association for 2008? You could buy the bike, have a bash, and if you dont like it, you can stick some lights back on it and still have really nice roadbike.

I'll post some pics on this site, and get the wetpaint site updated very soon. Amanda took some nice video of the hairpin, with me genuinely leading the 4 backmarkers. If this is how being crap feels, roll on the big time!!

Cheers for now,

andy

No comments: