Wednesday 20 February 2008

No Woe!

So we are idiots. The frame's not twisted, just my dour Scottish outlook always expects the worst. One is rarely, in such cases, disappointed...
However, I think the motor's mounts are not where we want them to be... Or rather the lugs on the frame are for a differernt motor. Possibly an XT? I know that it previously held an SRX lump, the current cases are XTZ.

Anyway, here are some pics for the anoraks to show what I mean.
These were posted further to a bit of discussion on the forum of the ThumperClub.


From above. You can see that the head mount is central, but the centre of the cases is offset to the left (look at the mating surface cf the rear shock mount)

The rear of the engine has 2 mounts, upper and lower. The upper mount requires spacers to me made up, so is currently a (laterally) sliding fit. The lower mounts (left one is the ally "tab" you can see here) is a welded piece which locates the motor, each side of a boss cast into the rear of the cases.
















And here's the one on the right hand side of the motor...













From underneath, it looks something like this:


The right of this picture is the rear of the bike. The motor is to the left of the image. Centrally, (vertical in the image) is the lower frame tube, running between the left and right "spars" of the frame. The two mounts to our right are for the rear shock linkage (the pivot of the rocker). These are central to the frame. This illustrates nicely the offset nature of the two "tabs" I described above. I am presuming that these should be central (ie each equidistant from the left and right rocker mounts). Are you with me??
I haven't yet measured up what I think the offset is, but I'll get the vernier (or the "very near" out and get some figures tonight. I do know that the cylinder head mount is central...
andy

No comments: