Saturday 16 February 2008

A litle more progress (snail's pace!)




Last week, I received a parcel from a new friend in the States. Chris Hunsicker shipped me some springs, collets, Ti retainers and bottom cups; thanks also to Bill Jurgenson for his help with this. I also took advantage of a favourable exchange rate and bought a DID cam chain.

As Boyd was due down on Saturday morning, for a “dry-fit” I thought I had better try to get the motor together.

The RD springs came with a bit of paperwork specifying the Installed Height, and how to obtain it. The correct height of the spring retainer to the bottom cup; this can be decreased if necessary with the shims supplied to place UNDER the bottom cup. However, my installed height is between 1.5mm and 2mm greater than the specified limits. I have 4 shims, each of 0.34 mm. I’m unsure on how to proceed with this and will try to ask those who have played this game before…

Anyway, it did mean that when Boyd arrived on Saturday morning, the head still wasn’t on! No problem, I quickly assembled the “empty” head and cambox on top of the barrel…

…and he seemed pleased to see me anyway. What a handsome pair!

No comments: