Monday 28 January 2008

What doesn't kill you makes you stronger?

Another weekend of pi**ing about, but thankfully with some positive results. The rear wheel business, ie. two similar wheels but with different positioning for the brake disc, has finally been resolved. They are the same wheel, FZR400RR, but one has been machined to move the disc inboard of the wheel rim. This obviously meant that when the need arose to swop quickly from wets to slicks it was going to be a right pain, what with different spacers etc. It now seems, after much careful measuring, that is I get some spacers made to move the disc back to its original position we can swap wheels relatively easily. This is one major problem solved.

Next item was the fuel tank. As far as I was concerned we didn't have a tank to fit under the dummy tank. I therefore set-out to source a suitable tank from a KR1S or RGV as they, superficially, looked as if they would fit. I took careful measurements, made paper templates, bought a KR1S tank locally, and we still didn't have a tank. The fit between the tank, chassis rails and seat unit was just not close enough, so it was back to the drawing board (and this was on top of breaking down on the first attempt to collect the tank and being recovered by the AA, and then sitting in a massive tail-back due to and accident at the second attempt - I should have seen the omens!). After much head scratching and advanced looking I realised that the battered old alloy tank, that I thought a) was an oil tank, and b) was too big to fit under the dummy cover, was in fact the fuel tank I was seeking. What a numpty!?! It sort of fits, in places, and will need some brackets making, but we finally have a tank - which fits, and utilises the nice dummy cover. My only concern is if it has a large enough capacity. I think we will struggle to get more than one and a half gallons of fuel into it yet the races are now over twenty five five laps of circuits that can be up to three miles long. As I have no idea what the mpg of a Tigcraft/SRX hybrid is likely to be we may not be out to the woods yet. As I've said previously two steps forward, one step back, again!

Boyd

No comments: