Tuesday 8 January 2008

Begged, borrowed..... no theft yet!

Well, seeing as Boyd has clearly been lazing around having a nice break, I thought I'd finally get round to updating from my end.

The (unconfirmed) 2008 race dates are out : here This means that we need to be ready for April. Testing in March. Engine in by early February...

However, I've been getting loads of help- must be the festive spirit! First of all, Bill Jurgenson has been giving me loads of advice. More than that however, he has kindly loaned me a Silent Hektik ignition system, meaning I can ditch the OEM rotor. He's also included a beautifully made, CNC-milled engine cover. And some plugs, a coil and new HT lead. So the motor will have a top ignition system giving good sparks, should spin up quicker, and really looks the business! (Although I am trying not to get too concerned with cosmetics). I'll post a link to his blog here when I get it: He's also on the case sourcing me some valve springs. Cheers Bill.

I went out to see my good friends Mike Avery and Barry Johnson in Slough at the weekend. It was well worth the ride (even if the DR wasn't happy in the cold weather).



One of the M6 threads had stripped out in the head and we (ie. Mike!) put in a helicoil. He then helped me clean up the threads, take off any highpoints, and generally flowed forth with his engineering pearls of wisdom. Cheers Mike, you've saved me some good cash there! Thanks too for the bed, and the beer. Unfortunately, Mike also laughed at my flattened tappets, so any saving has been gobbled up by 4 new tappets and locknuts. Back on the interweb to Kedo then...

Then on Sunday Barry took pity on me and lent me his impact gun. I had been swithering on buying one, but he's come good again and saved me more cash, which can go on things like gaskets, valves, tappets, oil, entries.....



Another thing I didn't fancy buying was a rotor puller. So I called on Bill Rayner, a ThumperClub regular, who very kindly sorted me out with his puller. Being a gent, he wouldn't even accept the postage. Thanks to another Bill!

In two flicks of a Lam's tail, the rotor nut was off, my itty-bitty trigger was on, and just for effect, so was the bling of the ally engine cover.



Isn't it just a thing of beauty??

Now I've also got other barrrel studs out, and cleaned up the threads. So, hopefully, I'll get some gaskets and the like from Kedo and I can get on with getting the piston and barrel on.

Then the head.

Then I can go see Boyd, and we can get the engine into his BEAUTIFULLY PREPARED CHASSIS!!! Ahem!!

Will get some more photos soon, cheers for now, and thanks a lot to everyone who has helped out, not all of whom are named here.

andy

No comments: