Sunday 16 December 2007

Decisions, Decisions

Its been a time of head scratching and fact finding of late.

I've finally solved the problem of finding out what studs I need for the crankcase to bolt the aircooled barrel onto the watercooled cases. The XT600 used a few, of varying lengths which complicated matters.

And I'm working on a way of getting rid of this big rotor on the end of the crankshaft.



Can't imagine its doing much to help the motor pick up speed....
And up top, I've stripped the valves out. Both the inlets were a bit hammered, and one was "mushroomed" such that it couldn't slide out through the guide. The offending article:

I had to very gently hacksaw the top off of it, and dress it so that I didn't wreck the guide. I found out that the guides have been shortened to allow the cam clearance.

The latter is a Megacycle Stage 4 item, and looks good. It has nearly 0.500" lift! However, this makes it hard to find springs. So I've opted for RD items with Ti tops, as recommended by Megacycle. The ones I took out had flats on the inside of the outer springs, and the outside of the inners, possibly suggesting that they'd been closing up...
The ports look good:






However, there appears to be a bit of a "step" where the inlet manifold bolts to the head:



You can just see it here on the right hand side, the little white ridge inside the inlet tract. I think I'll have to smooth that out....
I'll be getting an order off to Kedo soon for new valves, seals, some gaskets, a box of plugs, a cam chain.... and those studs which caused so much puzzlement!
And then in the New Year I can get it built, and take it up to Boyd asap to see how its going to go into the chassis!
andy

No comments: